Potato & Leek Soup
Comfort food posts continue.
I love leeks. I rarely buy them because they are often expensive, and I see them as sometimes frivolous when I can get a similar flavour from a spanish onion or green onions depending on the recipe.
When I received my farm box from Nourish Your Roots (definitely take a minute to read about that amazing program), I saw two beautiful large leeks and I knew exactly what I wanted to make: classic potato leek soup. This isn't a really complicated recipe, it's just a marriage of flavours that are so subtle and delicious that it leaves you wanting more.
- 2 Large leeks sliced thin
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1L vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 4 red potatoes, diced
- 1 tbs fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup blend or coffee cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, saute leeks in butter until soft
- Add thyme, garlic, celery salt to the leeks and saute until fragrant
- Add potatoes and stock and bring to a simmer
- Simmer for 45 mins on low until potatoes begin to fall apart
- Blend with stick blender until smooth, add cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste
See? Easy, comforting and delicious!