Cabbage Roll Casserole
I love cabbage rolls, but the work that goes in to them can be daunting, especially if you have only a short time to prep your food.
This casserole gives you all of the comfort of cabbage rolls with the convenience of a simple casserole. All it takes is a few steps and you will have a hot comfort food dinner on the table in little time.
I apologize that I don't have a photo of the casserole I made last night, but we dug in before I could even open the camera on my phone.
- 1 medium head of cabbage (I prefer savoy simply because I find it cooks faster)
- 1 large regular onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 large tin diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1.5 cups tomato sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Saute onions sprinkled with salt in a large frying pan with 1 tbs of warmed olive oil.
- Add ground beef and fry until brown.
- Add garlic, italian seasoning, and cayenne.
- Add canned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce
- Add rice and bring to simmer.
- Cut cabbage in 1.5 inch strips
- Rub casserole dish with remaining tbs of olive oil.
- Place a layer of cabbage strips in the dish.
- Pour 1/2 cup of brown basmati rice
- Top with half of the mixture from the frying pan.
- Add another layer of cabbage and remaining rice. Pour beef broth and soy sauce over.
- Top with what is left in the frying pan, season with salt and pepper.
- Cover casserole dish with tin foil, and bake in pre-heated oven at 400 for one hour.
- Let sit for 15 mins uncovered before serving.